Image formation by (scanning) transmission electron microscopy is based on interaction of a high energy electron beam with a thin sample. OCAS’s (S)TEM is equipped with industry-leading 4 in-column energy dispersive X-ray (EDX) detectors having a space resolution of 0.1 nm. OCAS’s (S)TEM allows for the fastest and most precise EDS analysis in all dimensions, along with high-resolution TEM and STEM (HRTEM and HRSTEM) imaging with fast navigation for dynamic microscopy.
Sample preparation is done by replica extraction, electro-polishing or by means of focused ion beam (FIB).
Typical examples of use of (S)TEM include
• Precipitate analysis: size, morphology, distribution, density, location, composition and strain field of precipitates
• Study of metallographic phases, intermetallic layers
• Determination of segregation effects at grain boundaries
• Analysis of nano-particles, such as welding fume dust
• Study of reaction kinetics of coatings on substrates